Re: Genesis of the git.d.o/gitlab.d.o confusion (Was: Next steps for gitlab.debian)

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 03:17:44PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.06.2016, 10:21 +0100 schrieb Jonathan Dowland:
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 10:25:07AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > > Thanks for the offer. It would be great if I have more hands to help with
> > > migrating git.debian.org
> >
> > Whoah there. Running an official Debian gitlab instance is one thing, migrating
> > git.debian.org is quite another. Did I miss where there was consensus on this?
>
> it was a misunderstanding that went this way:
>
>  * Someone wanted gitlab.debian.org.
>  * Someone pointed out that d.o services should be named by task, not
>    implementation.
>  * Someone figured that the task provided by gitlab is git hosting,
>    hence understood the above as a suggestion to use git.debian.org.

Let me rephrase, then: can we have a plan that addresses alioth / git /
gitolite / gitlab / stuff rather than standing up yet another SCM/PM tool
because it's shiny?

This has more to do with delivering sustainable services while reducing the
overhead / technical debt.

--
Luca Filipozzi
http://www.crowdrise.com/SupportDebian