Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2016, Pirate Praveen wrote:

> Packaging gitlab itself took years and I believe I have the patience to
> push through long and complex projects. Already some folks stepped up as
> volunteers and I hope more will join in as people understand the
> significance of making the workflow easier for new contributors.

Very often packaged versions are not a goot match for running on systems
where the operator of the service is not the maintainer of the system
and, therefore, not root.

In a majority of cases installing the service into /srv/$service/ is
preferable.  This way all configuration is owned by a role account and
tiresome ping-pong games between the system operator and the service
operator if things need changing are avoided.

--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System