Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

]] Pirate Praveen

Hi,

> On 2016, ജൂൺ 6 10:37:25 PM IST, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
> >]] Pirate Praveen
> >
> >> - setup gitlab.debian.net on jessie with my personal repo added.
> >>   - how do I add a machine?
> >
> >Read https://db.debian.org/doc-mail.html
> >
> >>   - Do we have a preferred hosting provider?
> >> - move to gitlab.debian.org after stretch release.
> >
> >We try to not name services by their implementation, but by their
> >function, so I find it unlikely that we'll accept it under debian.org
> >with there already being a
> >git.debian.org.
>
> What do you recommend? I think these two will have to be running
> parallel for sometime before all projects migrate to gitlab. How about
> git2.debian.org? Or would it be better to replace git.debian.org after
> migrating all repos?

This has been touched on in the rest of the discussion.  We don't have a
predefined set of procedures for deciding how to move from one provider
of a service to the next one, but to some degree, this is a first come,
first serve and Alioth is currently the service providing
git.debian.org, so you need to agree with the Alioth folks about what
it'll take for them to rescind the name.

Note that Alioth has other services than git on it too: cvs, svn and bzr
at least.  Some of those still have some active users, so it'd be
preferable if a new solution can handle those other repos too.

> > Another prerequisite for d.o hosting is that it runs on a
> > DSA-managed machine.
>
> How do I get such a machine? Since Gitlab Inc, is sponsoring this
> hosting, should we get a new machine and set it up as per DSA
> standards?

What does they actually offer us?  I don't mean to look a gift horse in
the mouth, but we're generally not suffering for hardware and prefer to
limit the number of hosters we have to keep in touch with (for pure
logistical reasons) so if it's just a VM somewhere, we can just as
easily provide that ourselves.  If it's something else, let's get the
details and figure it out.

(If you decide to go the d.n route, you're free to have it hosted
anywhere, but if it becomes part of the normal workflow for our
developers, I'd _really_ like it to be part of our normal hosting so
that we have bits like access recovery mechanisms, backups and so on in
place.)

I see that this project is expanding a bit beyond what I think you
initially foresaw and don't mean to discourage you, but if you want this
to work well for Debian, there's a tad more work than just setting up
gitlab on a host somewhere.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen