Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On Wednesday 08 June 2016 01:25 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Pirate Praveen
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 2016, ജൂൺ 6 10:37:25 PM IST, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
>>> ]] Pirate Praveen

>>> Read https://db.debian.org/doc-mail.html

>>> We try to not name services by their implementation, but by their
>>> function, so I find it unlikely that we'll accept it under debian.org
>>> with there already being a
>>> git.debian.org.
>>
>> What do you recommend? I think these two will have to be running
>> parallel for sometime before all projects migrate to gitlab. How about
>> git2.debian.org? Or would it be better to replace git.debian.org after
>> migrating all repos?
>
> This has been touched on in the rest of the discussion.  We don't have a
> predefined set of procedures for deciding how to move from one provider
> of a service to the next one, but to some degree, this is a first come,
> first serve and Alioth is currently the service providing
> git.debian.org, so you need to agree with the Alioth folks about what
> it'll take for them to rescind the name.
>
> Note that Alioth has other services than git on it too: cvs, svn and bzr
> at least.  Some of those still have some active users, so it'd be
> preferable if a new solution can handle those other repos too.
>
>>> Another prerequisite for d.o hosting is that it runs on a
>>> DSA-managed machine.
>>
>> How do I get such a machine? Since Gitlab Inc, is sponsoring this
>> hosting, should we get a new machine and set it up as per DSA
>> standards?
>
> What does they actually offer us?  I don't mean to look a gift horse in
> the mouth, but we're generally not suffering for hardware and prefer to
> limit the number of hosters we have to keep in touch with (for pure
> logistical reasons) so if it's just a VM somewhere, we can just as
> easily provide that ourselves.  If it's something else, let's get the
> details and figure it out.

Quoting from the mail their CEO sent to -devel [1].

"GitLab B.V. would be more than happy to help with gitlab.debian.net and
pay for the hosting. This in collaboration with volunteers such as
Praveen and while ensuring that Debian is fully in control."

It is for us to decide where to host it. Options,

1. Provide me a VM on debian infrastructure.
2. git.fosscommunity.in (sponsored by Gitlab Inc) uses gandi.net and we
could use the same.

git.fosscommunity.in uses gandi X-Large VPS (4 cores, 4GB RAM, 100GB SAS
disk, 1 IPv4).

Minimum recommended spec is 2 cores and 2GB RAM.

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/doc/install/requirements.md

I would like to go with the minimum spec now. We can start with 100 GB
disk and I'll use LVM so it can be expanded when required.

> (If you decide to go the d.n route, you're free to have it hosted
> anywhere, but if it becomes part of the normal workflow for our
> developers, I'd _really_ like it to be part of our normal hosting so
> that we have bits like access recovery mechanisms, backups and so on in
> place.)

see above.

> I see that this project is expanding a bit beyond what I think you
> initially foresaw and don't mean to discourage you, but if you want this
> to work well for Debian, there's a tad more work than just setting up
> gitlab on a host somewhere.

yes, but it has to start somewhere and I think setting up a gitlab
instance is the first step.

Packaging gitlab itself took years and I believe I have the patience to
push through long and complex projects. Already some folks stepped up as
volunteers and I hope more will join in as people understand the
significance of making the workflow easier for new contributors.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/04/msg00345.html