Re: Dropping upstart jobs (or not)

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> I don't understand why did you read my answer this way.

Because that's the point of this thread.  Notice the subject?  That's the
point I'm making.

> I responded to Marco d'Itri's claim that systemd is the sole winner,
> based on popcon data.

And Marco should also know better than to get baited by Marc.  So far as I
can tell, all three of you are doing nothing in this thread other than
sniping at each other and trying to rile each other up.

Do you (all of you) think that's a good idea?  Do you think it will
accomplish anything useful?  Make you sleep better at night?  Make people
think more highly of you?  Help answer the original question?  Are you
trying to achieve some goal here, or just reacting?

I'd happily maintain upstart configuration in my packages forever if
people were actually maintaining it or developing it, but since that's not
happening, it's very hard to see how maintaining configuration for a dead
init system in Debian is helping diversity.  How to handle that is a
reasonable question.  If every reasonable question about how to handle
something related to an init system just turns into round N of an argument
in which no one has said anything new for a year, people will just stop
using debian-devel to have discussions about anything even remotely
touching on init systems.  That seems like a bad idea to me.