Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:32:57AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Adam Borowski (2016-05-12 08:16:29)
> > On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 01:54:04PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> If someone has time and willingness, reviewing the contents of
> >> NEWS.Debian across all packages for the stable -> testing delta
> >> before the release sounds like a very useful thing to do.
> >
> >>From what I've seen, this is very close to our problem with
> > Recommends: -- those pointless NEWS.Debian _do_ make sense "locally"
> > -- for a direct user of the package in question.  If you're, say,
> > coding something with a library, you're interested when that library
> > changed its API in an incompatible way.  On the other hand, if you
> > merely use something that depends on the library, you couldn't care
> > less.
>
> Perhaps that could be addressed by extending apt-listchanges with an
> option to take the APT auto-install flag into account (man apt-mark) and
> skip packages that are flagged as auto-installed.

Alas, it's not that easy:
* a part of packages in the sample I looked at have NEWS.Debian that are
  relevant even if you don't use the package directly (but have it installed)
* being auto-installed doesn't mean you don't use the package.  Things like
  devscripts, exim4, autoconf are pulled as dependencies yet I for one use
  them directly.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.