Re: Debian i386 architecture now requires a 686-class processor

On Wed, 11 May 2016 17:03:05 +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont
<olasd@debian.org> wrote:
>* Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> [2016-05-11 10:47:52 +0200]:
>
>> >The third reason is the question of how much in detail the release
>> >notes should actually be. In a strange way in the past they were too
>> >short. That made me reluctant to suggest entries for low-popcon
>> >packages as their significance doesn't match the prominence of being
>> >mentioned in the notes.
>>
>> We could have a "show-release-notes" package containing a script that
>> scans (pre-upgrade) the installed packages and shows all release-notes
>> relevant to those packages. This would need the release notes to be in
>> a somewhat automatically-selectable format, most easily a http-served
>> directory somewhere with a packagename.txt for each package that has
>> relevant text that went past the package maintainer and the release
>> team. Some thought needs to go in there for the cases where package
>> foo is superseded by foo2. Most easily this could be a simple symlink
>> in the releasenotes directory.
>
>That really sounds like what apt-listchanges already does.

apt-listchanges drowns the user in the change logs, most of which are
irrevant. I think of a solution that will show text that has been
vetted by the package maintainer _and_ the release teams and that
documents possible breakage during updates only. At this point, I
don't care that a package has bumped its Standards-Version: field, or
that a new person was added to Uploaders:.

Greetings
Marc