Re: Packaging of static libraries

On Apr 19 2016, Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 02:57:00PM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>> > If users have such specialized needs, I think it is not only reasonable that
>> > they build their own versions of their libraries; I expect them to prefer that.
>> > So we should make that as easy as possible.  I can imagine that Gentoo also
>> > seems attractive to them, and it may be a good (or even better) solution.  But
>> > as Debian, I think the best we can do to help them is to make it easy to build
>> > our packages from source with custom build flags.  I'm guessing that we're
>> > probably talking less than 100 people in the world, maybe less than 10, that
>> > need this.  It makes no sense to put a package in the archive just for them.
>>
>>   I do not understand where your numbers come from.
>
> I understood that this was a very specialized thing that some people in
> research institutions would want.  So I guessed a few people at Cern, for
> example.  There aren't that many projects that are running for months.  But
> it's still a wild guess, and I'm happy to believe you when you have better
> numbers.  How many people do you expect need this?

Random datapoint: there are more than 400 usernames starting with "n" on
NERSC, and my UID is above 70k. No matter how interpret this is, it's
pretty much guaranteed that the number of people doing HPC is *way*
above 100.

On the other hand, NERSC also recommends recompiling any application
with their compiler. So I'm not taking any position here :-).

Best,
-Nikolaus