Re: Packaging of static libraries

On Apr 13, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> We in Debian are in a good position to defend our users from the
> fallout from this problem.  We could change our default compiler
> options to favour safety, and provide more traditional semantics.
Which would not solve any problem in this case, because then the HPC
users will just not use Debian or use custom optimized builds.

> We would have influence upstream (for example to further advance the
> set of available safety options) if we cared to use it.  But sadly it
> seems that the notion that our most basic and widely-used programming
> language should be one that's fit for programming in is not yet fully
> accepted.
While I believe that your campaign has a merit and I wish you best luck
with it, providing useful software to users should be a more pressing
concern for Debian.

--
ciao,
Marco