Re: Packaging of static libraries

Le 13/04/2016 20:02, Bas Wijnen a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 05:17:54PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Apr 13, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>> We in Debian are in a good position to defend our users from the
>>> fallout from this problem.  We could change our default compiler
>>> options to favour safety, and provide more traditional semantics.
>> Which would not solve any problem in this case, because then the HPC
>> users will just not use Debian or use custom optimized builds.
>
> If users have such specialized needs, I think it is not only reasonable that
> they build their own versions of their libraries; I expect them to prefer that.
> So we should make that as easy as possible.  I can imagine that Gentoo also
> seems attractive to them, and it may be a good (or even better) solution.  But
> as Debian, I think the best we can do to help them is to make it easy to build
> our packages from source with custom build flags.  I'm guessing that we're
> probably talking less than 100 people in the world, maybe less than 10, that
> need this.  It makes no sense to put a package in the archive just for them.

  I do not understand where your numbers come from. I do not know the
number of people that want optimized libraries for HPC, but I know
myself more than 10 just around me.
  I also know lots of HPC clusters installed with Debian. If Debian
choose to favor safety wrt to performance (instead of trying to find
a good compromise as currently), it will probably loose some users.
  And no, admins (and most users) do not prefer to recompile software
instead of using the installed one (some users do not have enough
computer science skills to do it and some admins are already
overloaded and will not want to manage a derivative distribution)

> And changing the default compiler settings to fit their needs makes even less
> sense.

However, it already occurred : we compile by default with -O2, not
with the compiler default (no -O options). Until now, the Debian
project seems to agree that this is a good tradeoff between
optimization and "code correction".

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA