Packaging of static libraries

Hi,

when I was asking for help to create shared *and* static library on
Debian Mentors list[0] I received two answers that static libraries
are not needed.  My reply

  Policy says[1]:

   The static library (libraryname.a) is usually provided in addition to
   the shared version.

  I have no good reason to derive from this.

  > The only use case I could imagine is to create an executable that can
  > run outside of Debian.

  That's a valid use case for consumer of the lib*-dev package.

remained unanswered but it seems there might be some need what "usually
provided in addition" might mean and whether it is advisable to try hard
to provide static libraries even if upstream build system does not
easily provide both.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2016/04/msg00183.html