Re: debhelper compat 10 ready for testing (debhelper/9.20160403)

Simon McVittie:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 at 19:43:13 +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> I do not mind managing a mass-bug filing for removing manual dbg
>> packages without reverse dependencies if that is any help.
>
> Is there a plan/timeline for having -dbgsym packages appear in testing
> (and ideally also stable backports), or alternatively, a conscious
> decision that debuggability of those suites is not something the project
> wants? When stretch gets close to being stable, I imagine we'd probably
> want security updates and stable bugfixes to get debug symbols too.

Good question and a fair point as a possible blocker for a potential MBF.

 * We had a look at populating testing-debug but with little luck so
   far on "quick fixes".
   - Worst case, it will have to wait for someone (probably me) to add
     support for it in Britney and related scripts.

 * I am happy to enable dbgsym generation in debhelper in backports
   (when I backport debhelper/10)
   - *However*, it will require a backport of some changes in dpkg-dev
     1.18.2 (either via pu or -backports).  As I recall, they are
     isolated in dpkg-genchanges (though I'd have to read up on it).

Thanks,
~Niels