Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 15:01:53 +0000, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>
wrote:
>and since you are running sid anyway, it wouldn't even help you, so I'm puzzled
>why you suggested it.

You obviously don't see the difference between a customer, a client
machine and a server. This might be a matter of language, so I'll
explain it.

A customer is a company paying me to do things. This usually includes
building and/or running some services on Linux for them. Once upon a
time, this used to be 100 % Debian, but since Debian has started
shortening their release periods, two years later began freezing
distributions two days after changing the default init system to
something entirely different, resulting in a somewhat half-baked, but
surprisingly painless stable release, Enterprise Linuxes have begun to
take on share massively, much to my dismay.

A client is a system that has a human between chair and keyboard. This
includes notebooks and desktop PCs and is usually running Windows,
especially for technically uninterested people. "My" clients are a
small number, exactly three of them. One production notebook, a
desktop, and a secondary notebook for testing and reference purposes.
At least one of the notebooks needs to work at any time, and since I
am a DD, those are running Debian unstable. They do break from time to
time, sometimes due to software errors, sometimes due to surprising
changes to software (such as, no keyscript handling any more). Since
especially the notebooks are only updated when the other one is (a)
near and (b) working, one of them breaking is expected and not a big
problem.

A server is a system I get paid to keep it running. It usually doesn't
have chair, keyboard or screen, is either virtualized or stacked awary
in a datacenter that I have not even seen in most cases, and runs
Debian stable. Break one of them, and I am in trouble either way.
Those machines are those I worry about.

Greetings
Marc