Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 13:28:14 -0800, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
wrote:
>I do understand why people working in the embedded space care about some
>unusual mount orderings, file system separations, and very light cores,
>and I hope that we can accomodate and support all of their use cases
>inside Debian.  I think that's the most productive part of this thread.

We have already shown how "much" we care about the users of non-Linux
kernels in Debian ("not at all, they can happily go fishing").

I have no doubt that we're going to do the same thing to embedded
users if we can trade those users for a few seconds per year in
startup time.

And I fear that we're going to lose a few more important contributors
that way.

And we're all doing this to keep our upstreams and Ubuntu happy. Is it
worth this?

>But I don't get why people who are using non-embedded UNIX systems
>particularly care.

I, for example, am afraid of having to merge /usr in existing systems
during upgrades, causing repartitions to be necessary. I am afraid of
partition layout suddenly not fitting any more during an upgrade,
causing downtimes and customers considering to take the opportunity to
migrate to a really supported enterprise distribution.

And, I really don't want to have to adapt, test and verify scripts and
backup schemes to changed partition layout. This will be necessary for
new systems, and it is really a horror vision to have to do this for
existing systems during upgrades.

>If you've used UNIX for a long time, you've seen
>binaries in all sorts of bizarre and irritating locations.  This is minor
>compared to the organizational differences between various commercial
>UNIXes back in the day.

I decided for Debian to get rid of this. Now we're planning to cause
this _inside_ Debian.

>> There is no such thing as a single user mode boot with only the rootfs
>> anymore.
>
>Yes, there is.  The rootfs just includes /usr.

Which is, in my case, the case for a single-digit number of tiny VMs
in a park of a couple of hundred systems with separate /usr. The
majory of those systems hasn't been reinstalled or even repartitioned
in years. Please don't force me to do that during an upgrade.

>> PS: And i hate giving up on technical issues.
>
>That's the whole thing, though.  Maintaining a meaningful /bin and /lib
>vs. /usr split is not primarily a technical issue.  It's a coordination
>issue.  The technical work for a single package is painful only because
>moving things is really painful.  The problem is more that it affects
>thousands of packages maintained by numerous different maintainers who are
>never testing that configuration and may not even be aware that it exists.

And it affects hundreds of thousands of installed systems.

>Another word for "giving up" is "applying sane prioritization."  We can't
>fix every wishlist bug.  Is this one actually worth the effort?

So it is a wishlist bug to keep things as broken as they were always
been?

Greetings
Marc