Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 10:14:14AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Daniel Reurich <daniel@centurion.net.nz> writes:
>
> > Ah, so it's actually packages that don't separate device configuration
> > logic from the application or daemons properly that has caused the
> > brokenness.  Can we identify and fix the packages that cause this issue?
>
> No.  Debian has basically given up on this; there are way too many
> packages and way too much stuff that would have to be moved to /bin and
> /lib in order to preserve the traditional semantics that allow /usr to be
> mounted very late.  I've poked a bit at this in the past, and the amount
> of work that would be required is daunting, and benefits only a few highly
> unusual edge cases.

From my 25 year Unix experience i dont like the usr merge. As you sum
up very nicely and i agree on is that Debian has given up on being
slim at this point. There is no such thing as a single user mode boot
with only the rootfs anymore.

For me it boils down to - "We have parallel startup so we need
all the little bells and whistles a lot faster and earlier in boot
than we used to have them. Sequential filesystem processing is
slow - lets reduce the number of filesystems we need to mount."

I was a opponent of the systemd issue because when it came to solve
the parallel/dependency based booting those were moot in my eyes.
Nobody cares about booting anymore. On your Desktop/Notebook you
do it probably 10 times a year because of reliable suspend/resume
possibilities. Typical Virtual Machine setups even only do
it ONCE in their whole lifecycle - who cares if it takes some seconds
more?

Making boot THE reason for the UsrMerge is simply overrating it.

Flo
PS: And i hate giving up on technical issues.
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de
      We need to self-defend - GnuPG/PGP enable your email today!