Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

Ansgar Burchardt writes ("Re: support for merged /usr in Debian"):
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> > Thanks to my conversion program in usrmerge there is no need for a flag
> > day, archive rebuilds or similar complexity and we can even continue to
> > support unmerged systems.
>
> Is there any use case that requires supporting unmerged systems?

Someone has already mentioned mounting /usr ro.  But one generally has
to keep /etc rw.  I don't think that the right way to address this is
to make /etc a mount point.

Anotheer example: I have a system which does a rather hackish NFS root
boot.  It has its own / but uses /usr from the fileserver.  This has
worked surprisingly well for a long time.

Ian.