Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 14173 March 1977, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Is there any use case that requires supporting unmerged systems?
> Someone has already mentioned mounting /usr ro.  But one generally has
> to keep /etc rw.  I don't think that the right way to address this is
> to make /etc a mount point.

No, /etc can be nicely ro. That is, /, /usr, /etc, ... can be. The log
storage and the user homes, as well as a tmp filesystem rw, rest ro.
Works nicely, I have 4 of such systems running.

Yes, updates are a bit annoying (especially as those systems also
disallow any further rw mounts after boot), as they include reboots or
remounts, depending on if you block further remounts or not.
But thats a minor thing.

--
bye, Joerg
But Marge, what if we chose the wrong religion? Each week we just make