Re: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system

On 16/02/2015 14:41, Christian Kastner wrote:
> On 2015-02-16 13:47, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> It's funny that when Wheezy (not Jessie!) came out, nobody complained
>>> that libsystemd-login0 (which is now part of libsystemd0) was as a
>>> dependency of dbus, so it is probably already installed on most desktop
>>> systems running current Debian stable.
>>  i'll hazard a guess that it's because they had no idea that, in the
>> very near future, all the major desktop developers and all the major
>> distros would make the unilateral decision to hard-code the
>> *exclusive* use of systemd (or parts of it).
> I'll hazard another guess, namely that the great vast majority of users
> simply do not care. I'd be surprised if most users even know what an
> init system does, much less what the differences between sysvinit /
> systemd / upstart / etc are. [*]
But the developers _do_ care, and that matters.

See John Goertzens insightful blog post:

http://changelog.complete.org/archives/9304-reactions-to-has-modern-linux-lost-its-way-and-the-value-of-simplicity

An an example, i've been a long-term linux developer, DD; i've developed
and promoted Linux not just on the desktop but both in embedded systems
and in HPC systems. In all these I've been comfortable that I've been
able to adapt Linux, reconfigure, do what was needed to get it going on
any size of device, and get my changes either accepted upstream,
maintain them locally in my organisation or both. With systemd I don't
think I could do that, and thats very disempowering.

Do I really need to point out that if we lose developers, then the users
lose too?

Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.