Re: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system

On 2015-02-16 13:47, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
>> Am 16.02.2015 um 02:54 schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>>>
>>> http://lkcl.net/reports/removing_systemd_from_debian/
>>

>> It's funny that when Wheezy (not Jessie!) came out, nobody complained
>> that libsystemd-login0 (which is now part of libsystemd0) was as a
>> dependency of dbus, so it is probably already installed on most desktop
>> systems running current Debian stable.
>
>  i'll hazard a guess that it's because they had no idea that, in the
> very near future, all the major desktop developers and all the major
> distros would make the unilateral decision to hard-code the
> *exclusive* use of systemd (or parts of it).

I'll hazard another guess, namely that the great vast majority of users
simply do not care. I'd be surprised if most users even know what an
init system does, much less what the differences between sysvinit /
systemd / upstart / etc are. [*]

And what do you mean by "unilateral" decision? If you want to be
involved in the design and development of a software, do what everyone
else does -- contribute. That works for everyone else, AFAICT. It's
really becoming tiring to hear this incessant, high-pitched,
full-of-entitlement whine about how the free-as-in-speech software
someone else is putting the time and effort to provide them with is not
acceptable to them. If you know something that all-the-desktops and
all-the-distros don't, then act on that knowledge.

Christian

[*] Anecdotal: the result of a quick poll among 4 Linux users in my
immediate vicinity had just this result.