Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

* Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> [151208 03:17]:
> Le 06/12/2015 13:01, David Kalnischkies a écrit :
> > You can't update individual indexes at the moment. The question is why
> > you would want to as from my point of view that was a pretty annoying
> > technical detail that I had to run two (or three [debtags] or more)
> > commands to get all the metadata.
>
>   I use "apt-file search" very sporadically. And even when I use it,
> most of the time, it is to find a package containing a header file,
> so I do not need its database to be up-to-date. So I update it only
> when the result from the first run is not good.
>
>   Now, each apt{-get} update will update all Contents-Files for
> *all architectures* and *all suites*. I do not want that. It takes
> too long for data I do not need. It is especially annoying when I'm
> traveling, that I've only a limited (speed and/or size) data link
> and that I must upgrade/install a package.

I agree completely.  I only use apt-file once in a while, and I don't
mind running a separate command to update to Contents files, and I don't
think I have ever used apt-file when I was interested in anything other
than amd64/testing, though I have other archs/suites in my sources.list.

On the other hand, I run apt-get at least once a day.  I do not want to
have to wait for the Contents files every time I update my Packages
files.

If this is configurable, that's great, but I think the default (as I
interpret this thread) is a regression.  The default should be to not
download Contents, but describe (or point to a description elsewhere) in
the apt-file man page how to change the configuration so that Contents
are downloaded automatically on every apt-get update.

...Marvin