Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

* Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> [151208 04:33]:
> ]] Marvin Renich
> > I set Acquire::Pdiffs::FileLimit "3"; and have been much happier.  Why
> > this (or something near this) wasn't the default from the start, I don't
> > know.  The current default is an extremely poor choice.  Perhaps someone
> > should file a bug (serverity critical :-P) to get the default changed.
>
> I believe this has already been discussed,

Oh, I missed that discussion.  Was changing the default rejected, or is
it on the todo list, or was there no resolution?

> but what you really want is
> to do reverse diffs from today to dates in the past, not incremental
> diffs in the other direction.

That may be a better solution, but if mirror operators are not willing
to put up with the churn, then changing the default FileLimit seems like
the right (and obvious) compromise.  I don't see any downside to
changing the default, and it will give significant benefit.  If the idea
was rejected, I would really like to know why.

I've changed my config, so it is not really bothering me, personally.
But I would like the default to give the majority of Debian users the
best experience; the current setup does not.

...Marvin