Re: system upgrade by systemd

On 31 August 2015 at 10:43, Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> wrote:
>> This is getting ridiculous, are you now claiming the Debian Gnome team
>> or Gnome upstream was tracking the Windows 10 betas?
>
> If anything is getting ridiculous then it's people believing we know better
> hen the user when a line is to be used for update ans when not. This is
> simply impossible.
>
> As mentioned before for the same cell the situation may change depending on
> location. Or I may be on a slow line where the downloads make everything
> unusable but I desperately need to send/receive emails. Finally, speaking
> from experience again, I refuse to install updates while traveling, because I
> simply don't have the time, and sometimes not even the means, to repair the
> fuckup resulting from the updates. Agreed, this is rare, but still, even once
> is one time too many for me.

The way I package systemd, i completely exclude the update
functionality. Imho, it's modeled too much after e.g. mac / windows
opaque updates mechanism and it's not suitable for e.g. interactive by
default apt based updates.

It could be made work, but e.g. based on top of apt 1.1 and user
initiated, rather than packagekit anything.

Ideally the update generators, targets and units should be split into
a separate package and not installed by default. Since those are
really unexpected on Debian.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.