Re: system upgrade by systemd

Hi,

> Simon McVittie wrote (30 Aug 2015 15:41:32 GMT) :
> >> Or even noconnectivity at all
> >> (which at least Android and Windows actively check for using a call-home
> >> mechanism.)
>
> > Both NetworkManager and ConnMan are able to do that, although I don't
> > know whether that's enabled in Debian. In both cases I think the "am I
> > online?" URL is configurable, defaulting to one provided by unstable,
> > but distributors are able to change the default; for instance I think
> > Fedora configure their NM packages to try a Fedora-hosted URL instead.
>
> FWIW, https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7950 has some pointers that
> might save a little bit of time to anyone willing to look closer.

There's also NetworkManager.conf(5). At least in sid it has a
connectivity section with appropriate details.

Basically it works with such lines in NetworkManager.conf (taken from
the Fedora patch enabling the feature):

  [connectivity]
  uri=http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt
  response=OK
  interval=300

The specified URI should return X-NetworkManager-Status: online in its
headers; or return the "response" configuration option as content.

AFAICT it's not enabled by default and this is again one of those
things we should ask users about before "pinging home".

Up in the stack GNOME Shell will automatically popup a window
embedding a webkit widget set on the given URI (and thus, displaying
the captive portal).

        Frederic