Re: Mass bug filing about non free lena image.

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 06:19:39AM +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
>> I can totally understand if this kind of thing happening is deterring women
>> from working in that field.
>
> I also understand all these explanations but in Free Software problems
> are usually solved by those who see a problem.  Problems are never
> solved by explaining over and over what the problem is.
>
> So could people please spend their time rather in digging freely
> available image resources to get a replacement quickly.  I'm
> hereby asking for help from somebody who might like to support
> Debian but has no packaging skills.

I saw that at least one package (I'm afraid I've forgotten which)
settled on this picture of Grace Hooper:

  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Commodore_Grace_M._Hopper%2C_USN_%28covered%29.jpg

It is Public Domain (having been released by the US Navy).

It is of a person, so can be used for face recognition.

For those of you that don't know who Grace Hooper was, this photo will
have the nice feature that the more you look into the background the
better you will feel about the possibility of overcoming sexism in our
field, unlike the Lenna photo, which is liable to do the reverse.  See:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

My apologies to those who came up with this idea, I expect someone can
remind me who they were so that we can congratulate them on an inspired
choice, and (unless someone has a better idea) follow their example.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. it seems it was Matplotlib, but that they've not done a full job of
removing Lenna yet -- I don't think that detracts from the choice of Grace.