Re: Mass bug filing about non free lena image.

Hi,

Quoting Adam Borowski (2015-08-13 05:58:09)
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 04:28:37PM -0400, Jack Hill wrote:
> > Even if the image were free it is still disparaging to women. From the
> > lintian message [0]: "Moreover, Lenna photo has been pointed to as an
> > example of sexism in the sciences, reinforcing gender stereotypes."
>
> What exactly is sexist in an image of a woman's face and shoulder?

If the image came without context, probably nothing. Unfortunately, its context
is:

 - it came from the centerfold of the November 1972 issue of the playboy
   magazine (which might be considered to objectify women)
 - the full image shows the model in full nude (it is easy to find the full
   image online when searching for "lena playboy nude")
 - the image is used in a male dominated environment (image processing) for its
   "sexappeal"

My own anecdote: when I was taking image processing classes not so long ago
(four years), my (male) professor was also using the lena image in their
slides. When the slide came up I remember my professor quickly grinned at the
sight of it and one could hear quiet chuckles around the (male dominated)
classroom.

I can totally understand if this kind of thing happening is deterring women
from working in that field.

Thus, I'd welcome if instead a neutral photo was used by image processing
software. There is no reason to risk alienating one sex by using this kind of
material.

cheers, josch