Re: interested in (co-)maintaining midori

On Friday, August 14 2015, Andres Salomon wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 02:39:08 -0400
> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> wrote:

>> > Thanks.  I have just published it:
>> >
>> >   <http://git.sergiodj.net/?p=debian/midori.git;a=summary>
>> >
>> > This is *not* based on the official repository, but that's just
>> > because I found it more convenient.  As I said above, I intend to
>> > merge it to the original repository very soon.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Did you guys have time to look at my repository?  I have just pushed a
>> few more changes.  In fact, I might as well incorporate my changes
>> into the official repository, and make it ready to be used if needed.
>> Unfortunately I have been working on this during my spare time, which
>> has been very little lately, so I'm not progressing as fast as I
>> wished.  Nevertheless, things are almost ready; I would just like to
>> make a few adjustments.
>
> Yes, I took a look.  I still don't understand why you're starting from
> scratch.

Hi Andres,

As I explained in my previous message, "starting from scratch" is not
really true in this case; I shouldn't have used this expression, sorry.
What I am doing is cleaning things up and try to come up with a nicer
package than what we have now.  But as you can see, I have also used
many pieces of the "old" package.

>  I also don't understand why you didn't look at my work, which
> was done back in June (yours appears to be committed in August?), and
> calls debhelper with things like:
>
> "dh_auto_install -O--buildsystem=cmake"
>
> http://lunge.queued.net/gitweb/?p=midori;a=commitdiff;h=f47a9488f9a26b8e751a25368def76bca7f33c0b

I looked at your work.  I thought I had mentioned that.

First, I don't see the need to override some rules just to pass
"-O--buildsystem=cmake"; debhelper is smart enough to figure that out,
it seems.  I am not using this extra flag and things are working totally
fine for me.

A second thing is that your work still contains old stuff that could be
removed/tweaked.  For example, I noticed that the original shlibs file
contains wrong entries when you build the new package; that's why I had
to override it with a hand-made one (as well as provide a
lintian-override file to silence warnings because of the "unused
shlibs", which are actually Midori plugins).

Your work was done back in June, so if you prefer I can provide patches
against your branch to implement/fix the issues I have been working on.
It won't really matter much, I think: in the end, we'll have to use the
"official" repository anyway and patch it.

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36