Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools

Guido Günther writes:
> Having patches applied with 3.0(quilt) calls out for sync problems
> between your git tree and debian/patches/. This can be mitigated with
> --single-debian-patch --auto-commit but that's not what most people mean
> when talking about 3.0(quilt) - and it kind of defeats it's purpose.

I think the problems you are describing arise when the user does _both_
(a) manipulate the patches in debina/patches/ (with maybe quilt) _and_
(b) manipulate the upstream code in git.

Does git-buildpackage have a way to take a patches-applied git tree
and turn it into a patches-unapplied form ?  If so then it might be
sensible for gbp users who want to publish a directly-useable git
branch to treat the dgit branch as an export format: ie, to explicitly
convert to it, and to convert _from_ it where necessary.

No doubt the tools could be enhanced to do this.

> It would IMHO be better to have a true git based format then.

Well, I quite agree, and am not a fan of `3.0 (quilt)'.  But dgit is
not part of a campaign to eliminate `3.0 (quilt)'.

Ian.