Re: Is the Debian dependency system broken? (wget vs libgnutls-deb0-28)

 ❦ 15 juin 2015 20:20 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> :

>>> To avoid confusing myself further, Russ and Neil, are you both talking
>>> about the "debian/symbols" files?  I thought Russ might have been
>>> talking about "versioned symbols at DSO level" (e.g. symbol@LOW0 vs
>>> symbol@LOW1).
>
>> I'm pretty sure Russ was indeed talking about versioned symbols at DSO
>> level. Having debian/symbols doesn't solve the issue at hand here.
>
> Yup, I was talking about the DSO level.  debian/symbols doesn't help
> (although it's certainly nice for other things).

There is not a lot of documentation about how to handle that from an
upstream point of view. There is the info page (section VERSION) of ld
about -version-script.

How a library should transition from non-versioned symbols (use of
-version-info only) to versioned symbols?
--
I dote on his very absence.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"