Re: Is the Debian dependency system broken? (wget vs libgnutls-deb0-28)

Felipe Sateler <fsateler <at> debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 19:15:13 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Vincent Lefevre <vincent <at> vinc17.net> wrote:
>>> Is the Debian dependency system broken?
> > [...]
> >
> > No, but there is no way to *correctly* handle the problem with the
> > automatic depency mechanism. It is possible to use in some manual
> > kludge,
[...]
> > libnettle4 and libgnutls-deb0-28 3.3.15-5.  Neither Debian nor afaik any
> > other major distribution supports this kind of complexity in its
> > dependency system (conditional dependencies).

> You can, as hinted in the bug report, Breaks all packages depending on
> libnettle4 and libgnutls-deb0-28 (<< the version at which they switch to
> libnettle6).
[...]

That is neither correct, nor a good solution. - As Magnus noted this would
make backports of nettle-rdeps impossible.

FWIW I will add Conflicts against the nettle 2.7 library package in the next
GnuTLS unstable upload. Change is already in GIT.

cu Andreas