Re: Is the Debian dependency system broken? (wget vs libgnutls-deb0-28)

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:

> This is a recurring (anti-)pattern:

> * an ABI-stable, high-level library, say libhigh0, links to a
>   lower-level library, say liblow0
> * we have an ABI transition from liblow0 to liblow1
> * liblow0 and liblow1 do not both have versioned symbols

And this point is the root of the problem.

When I'm in a particular tilting at windmills mood, I think we should just
stop accepting new shared libraries in Debian that don't use symbol
versioning, and make adding symbol versioning mandatory the next time the
SONAME changes.  I know this is a ton of work for a lot of edge packages
where the upstream maintainers are building shared libraries without
really understanding how they work, but it's so hard to properly manage
library upgrades without symbol versioning.