Re: Is the Debian dependency system broken? (wget vs libgnutls-deb0-28)

Hi!

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 09:18:34 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> There is not a lot of documentation about how to handle that from an
> upstream point of view. There is the info page (section VERSION) of ld
> about -version-script.

That's true, there's lots of information spread all over the place, that
is either too detailed/deep, or too vague.

For example there is also:

  <http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/symbol-versioning>
  <http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/goodpractice.pdf>
  <http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/dsohowto.pdf>

In any case, barring better documentation or guides, using example
implementations simpler than glibc might be useful to people. So I
offer libbsd, but I'm sure there are many others. We could perhaps
even create a wiki page listing some of those pointers.

libbsd for example exposes setproctitle() with different versions.

> How a library should transition from non-versioned symbols (use of
> -version-info only) to versioned symbols?

You just switch it, code compiled against the new version will require
at least the version switching to versioned symbols, code compiled
against an older version will keep working with both.

Thanks,
Guillem