Re: patch-tracker down?

On 2015-05-03 15:31:28, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 02:50:17PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > PS: Long-term, the current codebase needs some redoing - e.g. it uses
> > cheetah as templating engine, and that's not available under Python 3,
> > etc.
>
> I very much agree. This is why, from an idea coming from Lucas, I've
> included in the scope of the upcoming GSoC work on Debsources [1] the
> following:
>
>    2) a "patch tracker" web app to publish details about the source code
>    differences that Debian packages carry with respect to upstream
>    releases of the same software.
>    [...]
>    implement on top of Debsources a new web app, similar to the (now
>    defunct) patch tracker
>
> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/Projects/Debsources%20as%20a%20Platform
>
> From an ecosystem point of view, Debsources already have both packed and
> unpackages source packages, updated daily via push. On top of it adding
> a tiny web skin that presents the patches is not much of a work --- in
> comparison with the general infrastructure overhead of having a source
> mirror, unpackaging it, etc etc. This is why I'm interested in giving a
> try to recasting the old patch-tracker.d.o on top of sources.d.n (to
> that end I've temporarily booked patches.d.n), rather than deploying
> them as separate services.

Makes a lot of sense, indeed.

> OTOH, the patch-tracker.d.o code base already exists, and Debsources is
> not yet a *.d.o service (mostly due to my lack of energy in doing the
> migration, nothing else). So YMMV on what is the best course of action
> for having back a web app exposing Debian patches w.r.t. upstream.

My only goal is to have a patch tracker - I'm less concerned about how
it is implemented, except that:

> In terms of technologies, Debsources is both Python 2 and 3 (although
> currently still deployed on Python 2), and Flask based. If you, or
> anyone else, is motivated more on working on these technologies than in
> modernizing the old patch-tracker.d.o code base, please come and talk to
> me.

To be honest, I'm not interested in working on any python code base long
term. If I were to take on the old patch tracker, my second step after
bringing the service up would be to rewrite (at least the web
application) in a different language. I mentioned Cheetah/Python 2 only
in the context that it can't stay like this for too long.

So:

- we could have the current patch tracker resurrected easily as a stop
  gap measure; not sure what the policies are around debian.org
  services, but from the point of view of just the patch tracker,
  probably about one weekend effort; or:
- we could ignore the current patch tracker, since the GSoC will
  implement the same functionality anyway, just presenting the patches
  should be rather simple, and we're not in a hurry

I'm fine either way… What do people think?

thanks,
iustin