Re: patch-tracker down?

On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 02:50:17PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> Resurrecting this year-old thread. I guess the patch tracker is still
> down, right?

It is, yes.

> Browsing a few random packages seems to work correctly, although
> without an extensive test suite I don't know how well the code works
> for various packaging types.
[...]
> PS: Long-term, the current codebase needs some redoing - e.g. it uses
> cheetah as templating engine, and that's not available under Python 3,
> etc.

I very much agree. This is why, from an idea coming from Lucas, I've
included in the scope of the upcoming GSoC work on Debsources [1] the
following:

   2) a "patch tracker" web app to publish details about the source code
   differences that Debian packages carry with respect to upstream
   releases of the same software.
   [...]
   implement on top of Debsources a new web app, similar to the (now
   defunct) patch tracker

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/Projects/Debsources%20as%20a%20Platform

From an ecosystem point of view, Debsources already have both packed and
unpackages source packages, updated daily via push. On top of it adding
a tiny web skin that presents the patches is not much of a work --- in
comparison with the general infrastructure overhead of having a source
mirror, unpackaging it, etc etc. This is why I'm interested in giving a
try to recasting the old patch-tracker.d.o on top of sources.d.n (to
that end I've temporarily booked patches.d.n), rather than deploying
them as separate services.

OTOH, the patch-tracker.d.o code base already exists, and Debsources is
not yet a *.d.o service (mostly due to my lack of energy in doing the
migration, nothing else). So YMMV on what is the best course of action
for having back a web app exposing Debian patches w.r.t. upstream.

In terms of technologies, Debsources is both Python 2 and 3 (although
currently still deployed on Python 2), and Flask based. If you, or
anyone else, is motivated more on working on these technologies than in
modernizing the old patch-tracker.d.o code base, please come and talk to
me.

Having competition in the area wouldn't be necessarily bad either. In
particular, it might motivate in implementing a generic patch parser in
Python (supporting the various kind of packages), to be included in
python-debian.

Cheers.

[ thanks to pabs for pointing me to this thread ]
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .