Re: GitHub “pull request” is proprietary, incomp atible with Git ‘request-pull’

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 22:16:54 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 13:45 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > Well, the git-send-email patchbomb workflow is pretty ugly too in
> > many respects.  I can see why some people don't much like it. [1]
>
> I began with git send-email, but the email client of the person in
> question did not allow getting emails out in a form suitable for git
> am so then I sent one mail with git format-patch output attached,
> that was rejected in favour of github pull requests.
>
> > Did you offer those Debian folks a git url they could fetch from ?
>
> I hadn't yet, that is what I was going to try next. Based on comments
> from the last discussion, I expect anything other than a github pull
> request will be rejected.
>
> > If a Debian team insisted that the only way they would consider my
> > contribution is if I provided it via github, I would probably ask
> > the DPL or someone to help mediate.
>
> I don't think that would be appropriate and I don't want to antagonise
> anyone more than I already did. It might be useful if there were
> Debian folks who are github users who were willing to forward
> branches, attached patches or patchbombs to github pull requests
> though.

Much as I may be in favour of the github UI for particular reasons, I
can't see why this is a defensible position for a team within Debian -
yet I'm also not sure that I could be that intermediary due to a likely
lack of time. There really isn't a good reason to not have multiple
remotes and pull from whichever the contributor is best able to use.
It makes no sense for a team to actively block the distributed side of
git.

--

Neil Williams