Re: GitHub “pull request” is useful and can be easily integrated'’

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015, at 02:09, Brian May wrote:
I have never actually used GitLab, so I can't actually comment on how good it is...

Perhaps you should, before you start suggesting thing based on GitLab... ;-)

Anyway - GitLab is quite good these days and it has matured[1], but it's a typical Ruby project - impossible to package and constant updates.  I finally gave up and I am running our work instance of Ruby projects inside isolated RVM environments that includes GitLab and Redmine.

Also it still doesn't solve the issue the quarrel here is about - you still need some account - in this case a local GitLab instance account (well, Alioth could be used if that's in LDAP) to contribute.

This would make a strong sense only if we were to dump ForceForge and replace it completely with GitLab (and finally replace all inferior VCSs that makes my head to hurt with git :), but we all know that's not going to happen (at least not in foreseeable future), so I personally think that throwing DSA's resources on maintaining Debian GitLab instance would be a huge waste.

I strongly think that Debian should own his data, but refusing external services that could be used to improve Debian and DD/DM lives is not helpful either. So I support setting up a Debian umbrella organization on github, so DD/DM have an option to collaborate on packaging using Github if they want to. Since we don't mandate any SCM for our packaging work I don't think we should set up blacklist right now. Heck, there are still packages with no VCS or with patches mangled inside upstream sources. And in the worst case (GitHub closes without announcement) - it's still a git (so we all have our local repositories), and we also still have our source packages, right?

1. That said - it's by no means perfect and bugs still creep in, etc...

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server