Re: GitHub “pull request” is useful and can be easily integrated'’ (was: debian github organization ?)

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:55:17 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> GitHub's pull request feature is proprietary to GitHub, it can only
> work between repositories hosted inside the GitHub silo, and any
> project using that feature is thereby locking its workflow to the
> single-vendor GitHub service.

Not true. Simply and completely untrue.

The pull request exists on github, fine. I can either choose to
manually pick that out of the github interface or I can choose to use
my github account to merge that pull request into a local branch. At
that point, I can use all the power of git to do whatever I like with
that, including pushing directly to my own corporate git review
process. I can use precisely the same workflow for *all* contributions,
pull requests or not.

git pull is separate from git push, it's not as if a pull from github
must inevitably be followed by a push to the other remotes. I pull
from github, I rebase onto a local branch, I push the branch to the
review frontend, I update the pull request issue with the results of
the review. How is that a problem?

It's a sight easier than pulling a patch from my email client.

> Git repositories outside GitHub cannot interact with the GitHub pull
> request workflow using Git's own features.

Untrue. I use github and git.linaro.org side by side and have applied
github pull requests as reviews on review.linaro.org without
disrupting my workflow and without needing to limiting access to any
of the features of git.

> If a project uses GitHub pull requests for their workflow, they are
> thereby prejudicing their workflow against repositories not hosted on
> the proprietary GitHub service.

Untrue.

> They have chosen (or have never been aware they made the choice) to
> make it much harder to interact with them using the existing,
> standard, federated Git ‘request-pull’ feature, instead opting to
> exclude anyone who doesn't want an account on a specific vendor's
> service.

Sorry, that makes no sense. Working with github as a second remote is
trivial.

--

Neil Williams