Re: GitHub “pull request” is useful and can be easily integrated'’

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:00:33 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:55:17 +1000
> > Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > > GitHub's pull request feature is proprietary to GitHub, it can
> > > only work between repositories hosted inside the GitHub silo, and
> > > any project using that feature is thereby locking its workflow to
> > > the single-vendor GitHub service.
> >
> > Not true. Simply and completely untrue.
> >
> > The pull request exists on github, fine.
>
> How can a collaborator Alice, with no GitHub account, get the pull
> request?

Public github repositories do not need a github account to clone.

Accounts are only needed for writes and if github is just one of many
remotes, then as long as one person in the team has write access to
each remote that the team supports, then every remote is equal and can
be updated when the team decides to push. Just like every other git
repo out there. Anyone enabling anonymous write to a git repo would be
insane and private git repos are outside the scope of this discussion
by definition.

The rest of this has already been answered by Rob and Vincent.

> > Sorry, that makes no sense. Working with github as a second remote
> > is trivial.
>
> How does a collaborator Alice, with no GitHub account, access Bob's
> repository on GitHub and use the standard ‘git-request-pull’ to make a
> pull request to Bob? How does this interact with the GitHub pull
> request feature?

TBH I've never used or been asked to even consider using
git-request-pull for any of the free software work I've done on any
project using git.

> Your descriptions so far seem to support the position that Git
> ‘request-pull’ is equal for all peers, is incompatible with a
> workflow based on GitHub pull requests, and that GitHub pull requests
> cannot be received and handled using standard Git commands.

git-request-pull appears to be something which a few people are hung-up
on and which others simply don't need to use, but as long as it uses
standard git commands in the same way as any other git remote setup on
any particular git clone, it would be 100% compatible with all
workflows similarly based on standard git operations - explicitly
including github pull requests and gerrit and a raft of other options.

Github pull requests absolutely can be received and handled using
standard git commands and with a (default) public repo, anyone can
access them, no accounts necessary.

> My point is to refute the notion that GitHub pull requests are open
> and equal for all peer repositories. Please show specifically where
> I'm wrong on that.

You are specifically wrong on everything on that. There is no basis for
your opposition. If git-request-pull has some kind of problem, then I
would suggest that is a bug in git-request-pull because "standard git"
works fine with github and all the other remotes I use, so should
git-request-pull - I've just never needed it.

--

Neil Williams