Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

Matthias Urlichs <matthias@urlichs.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Philip Hands:
>> It seems to me that we could:
>>
>>   Make systemd link runlevel 2 to graphical.target, and 3,4 & 5 to
>>   multi-user.target, or perhaps in an attempt to be slightly less
>>   confusing to outsiders, how about:
>>      2 & 5 --> graphical
>>      3 & 4 --> multi-user
>>
> Or we could simply pop up a message, just like we're going to do for
> nonstandard inittab. Just compare directories; standard installs should
> have the exact same content in /etc/rc[2345].d, so run comm -3 on each
> (adjacent) pair of "ls -1" outputs. If not, the differences may or may not
> be relevant; I haven't checked the archive, but my development system has
> 75 entries in /etc/rc[2345].d and no differences.
>
> Given this result, I don't think that deciding on a reasonable "standard"
> mapping from runlevels to systemd targets makes sense: there is no
> difference between the old runlevels 2-5, which means that any sysadmin who
> actually needed a distinction between them is more likely than not to have
> invented their own scheme.

Well, quite, so the runlevel links on Debian are simply confusing, as
they don't currently map to the runlevels that have been defined
locally, and they don't reflect any meaningful link to what was standard
practice in Debian's sysvinit either.  Is there any pressing reason to
keep them?

Of course, that still leaves the problem of not starting [xk]dm under
the multi-user.target, but that's a separate issue really.

Cheers, Phil.