Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

Hi,

Philip Hands:
> It seems to me that we could:
>
>   Make systemd link runlevel 2 to graphical.target, and 3,4 & 5 to
>   multi-user.target, or perhaps in an attempt to be slightly less
>   confusing to outsiders, how about:
>      2 & 5 --> graphical
>      3 & 4 --> multi-user

Or we could simply pop up a message, just like we're going to do for
nonstandard inittab. Just compare directories; standard installs should
have the exact same content in /etc/rc[2345].d, so run comm -3 on each
(adjacent) pair of "ls -1" outputs. If not, the differences may or may not
be relevant; I haven't checked the archive, but my development system has
75 entries in /etc/rc[2345].d and no differences.

Given this result, I don't think that deciding on a reasonable "standard"
mapping from runlevels to systemd targets makes sense: there is no
difference between the old runlevels 2-5, which means that any sysadmin who
actually needed a distinction between them is more likely than not to have
invented their own scheme.

> I'd think that we need to tell people when upgrading that, if they've
> done things that are important to them involving special meanings for
> runlevels 2345, they need to work out how to port those things to
> systemd, or opt to stick with sysvinit for now.

+1

--
-- Matthias Urlichs