Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:34:46 +0100, Matthias Urlichs
<matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber:
>> It's learning and understanding more than just a few bizarre new concepts.
>>
>I learned. I (think I) understand. But I do not think these fancy new
>concepts are bizarre at all. If anything, they make my life way easier.
>
>If anything, IMHO using words like "bizarre" isn't exactly conductive
>to rational dialogue …

If we actually plan to release a distribution where a central piece of
software behaves contrary to its documentation, "bizarre" seems quite
logical to me.

Right now, we have an init system that has something named
"runlevel3", which makes people say "Yeah, finally a concept that I am
already familiar with" and then find themselves stymied when this
"something" does something quite different from the something we used
to know as "runlevel3". Same goes for a something for which its
documentation says "non-graphical" with another something called
"graphical", with no visible differences between those two things'
behavior, a system running X.

This is only a mild nuisance if everything is fine, but if a system
dies when X starts up, not having a clear way to prevent X from coming
up is bad.

Greetings
Marc