Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:36:20 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:34:46 +0100, Matthias Urlichs
> <matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
>>Marc Haber:
>>> It's learning and understanding more than just a few bizarre new
>>> concepts.
>>>
>>I learned. I (think I) understand. But I do not think these fancy new
>>concepts are bizarre at all. If anything, they make my life way easier.
>>
>>If anything, IMHO using words like "bizarre" isn't exactly conductive to
>>rational dialogue …
>
> If we actually plan to release a distribution where a central piece of
> software behaves contrary to its documentation, "bizarre" seems quite
> logical to me.
>
> Right now, we have an init system that has something named "runlevel3",
> which makes people say "Yeah, finally a concept that I am already
> familiar with" and then find themselves stymied when this "something"
> does something quite different from the something we used to know as
> "runlevel3". Same goes for a something for which its documentation says
> "non-graphical" with another something called "graphical", with no
> visible differences between those two things' behavior, a system running
> X.
>
> This is only a mild nuisance if everything is fine, but if a system dies
> when X starts up, not having a clear way to prevent X from coming up is
> bad.

This is indeed unfortunate. Because runlevel[234] are links to
multi-user.target it means that distinctions between those runlevels are
not preserved. It also means that the ability to differentiate between
graphical.target and multi-user.target is almost lost for systems where the
dm does not provide a native systemd unit, because the sysv generator will
generate links from runlevel[2345].target.wants/ to the dm.

This is the case with kdm:

% cd /run/systemd/generator.late
% ls -l runlevel[2345].target.wants/kdm.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 28 08:24 runlevel2.target.wants/kdm.service -> /run/systemd/generator.late/kdm.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 28 08:24 runlevel3.target.wants/kdm.service -> /run/systemd/generator.late/kdm.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 28 08:24 runlevel4.target.wants/kdm.service -> /run/systemd/generator.late/kdm.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Nov 28 08:24 runlevel5.target.wants/kdm.service -> /run/systemd/generator.late/kdm.service

Unless a user has disabled kdm in runlevels [234], there is no way to boot
the system without starting kdm.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler