Re: Embedded systems and systemd

On Sun, 2014-11-30 at 21:48 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > working upstream
>
> Are there any vendors of ARM-based devices who are doing that?

Most of the SoC vendors seem to be doing *some* work to get their chips
supported upstream, but I don't know enough to praise or criticise any
of them in particular.  Most GPUs in SoCs are still lacking free
drivers, but ironically the Nvidia Tegra family is an exception to this.

As for the complete devices, so long as the SoC and peripherals have
drivers then the device vendors should only need to contribute working
Device Tree sources.  (In theory they can install an FDT binary
separately from the kernel, but in practice I believe this doesn't tend
to happen as DT bindings aren't all as stable as they should be.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The world is coming to an end.	Please log off.