Re: DE features dependent on Systemd

 ❦ 30 novembre 2014 10:10 GMT, Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net> :

>  > Directly: DEs provide more useful features (especially power
>  > management) with systemd but will work correctly without.
>
> 	I see nothing in the ‘apcupsd’ changelog [1] (which is about the
> 	only package related to power management I have installed on my
> 	systems) to suggest it ever having any Systemd integration.
>
> 	Or does the above concerns the users of “normally
> 	battery-powered” devices instead?

Previously, every DE would need to reimplement power management. Now,
this is handled by systemd (and hence not by the DE anymore). Without
any special configuration, closing the lid of a laptop will put it to
sleep except if there is still an active user on an external
display. Taking action just before suspend (like locking the screen) is
also nicely handled by the systemd ecosystem.

A side-effect is that power management got a lot easier and reliable for
people not using GNOME, thanks to systemd.

>  > Indirectly through PolicyKit: lots of functionality will be missing
>  > if PolicyKit doesn’t have access to a console management interface.
>
> 	Specifically?

PolicyKit rely on logind to know if a user is locally connected. A
non-local user won't be allowed things like network management, local
device mounting or sound card access.
--
Document your data layouts.