Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

Noel Torres <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:

> It is a gut feeling also, and one that has been widely expresed by
> others, (with better and worse words) that Debian server admins will not
> be pleased with an init system which is bigger and does not use shell
> scripts to start system services.

And many of us who actually *are* Debian server administrators have said
repeatedly that your gut is wrong, in the innumerable versions of this
conversation that have happened over the past two years.  This idea that
systemd is somehow aimed at desktop environments and is not useful or a
good idea for servers is complete nonsense.  I say this as someone who
barely uses desktops at all and who has been running large-scale server
environments professionally for twenty years, and who has had extensive
conversations on this topic with professional colleagues in environments
ranging from a hundred servers to hundreds of thousands.

Obviously, there are some server administrators who disagree with me, just
like there are some desktop users who don't like systemd, and some
embedded developers who don't like systemd (and others who love it and
think it will help their work immensely).  The opinions about systemd do
not at all break along the lines that you have imagined.

Given that, could you please stop trying to divide Debian's users into
artificial opposing camps, and then trying to play those camps off against
each other?  I really don't think that Debian needs yet more attempts at
forming in-groups and out-groups and excluding people based on what they
use Debian to do.

The decision about the default init system to use for Debian was made with
an eye to *all* of Debian's users and all of their varying use cases.  You
are certainly entitled to disagree with that decision on its merits, but
if you're going to claim that it was made solely for desktop users while
ignoring server administrators or embedded users, directly contradicting
the statements of the people who were actually involved in that
decision-making process, you're going to need some really good evidence to
back up that assertion.  Not just a gut feeling.