Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

[…]

 > Desktops (not only GNOME) use a very tiny bit of systemd, interfaces
 > that could be provided elsewhere.

	Is that “use” as in “if available” or is that actually “require
	and be sure to die unless provided”?

	(Please forgive my ignorance here, – my “desktop” runs Openbox
	ever since I’ve switched off TWM c. 2008, and I’m pretty sure
	that Openbox does not “use” Systemd or any related services.)

 > The real purpose of systemd is to provide a modern init system.

	I believe that the word “init” is misleading at best in this
	context.

	The SysVinit-based system traditionally used in Debian was
	indeed /mostly/ concerned with bringing the system up – that is,
	“initing” the system.  On the contrary, Systemd seems to try to
	also encompass monitoring, time synchronization, user sessions,
	and, I presume, a load of other tasks.

	If anything, it seems to deserve something like Master Control
	Program for its name, – not something as mundane as an “init
	system.”

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A