Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 04:05:55PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Noel Torres <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:
>
> > It is a gut feeling also, and one that has been widely expresed by
> > others, (with better and worse words) that Debian server admins will not
> > be pleased with an init system which is bigger and does not use shell
> > scripts to start system services.
>
> And many of us who actually *are* Debian server administrators have said
> repeatedly that your gut is wrong, in the innumerable versions of this
> conversation that have happened over the past two years.  This idea that
> systemd is somehow aimed at desktop environments and is not useful or a
> good idea for servers is complete nonsense.  I say this as someone who
> barely uses desktops at all and who has been running large-scale server
> environments professionally for twenty years, and who has had extensive
> conversations on this topic with professional colleagues in environments
> ranging from a hundred servers to hundreds of thousands.

Indeed and even FreeBSD acknowledges that they need a new init. I often see the oponents of sytemd touting the BSDs.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mri66Uz6-8Y#t=1643 John Hubbard talking about how an approach like systemd is needed on FreeBSD.