Re: init system policy

Hi,

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> Thanks.  Sounds like only a diff between system-provided and
> sysadmin-overrided config, however: That might help for the latter part
> of the question - notify only when system service file is overridden
> locally (by suppressing notification if systemd-deta is empty).
>
> How to do first part of the question - be notified with a diff between
> old versus new _effective_ config when a package update changes a system
> service file?

One could probably write a tool that compares files before and after an
update, but I don't think its really useful.

Most software with configuration files has built-in default for many
settings. You don't get a notification when these change, but the
effective configuration might change, that is there is no real
difference between changing

  ExecStart=/usr/bin/some-daemon --some-flag

  ExecStart=/usr/bin/some-daemon --some-other-flag

or a built-in default in some-daemon changing with the same effect.

Ansgar