Re: init system policy

Quoting Ansgar Burchardt (2014-11-21 09:59:39)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
>> Thanks.  Sounds like only a diff between system-provided and
>> sysadmin-overrided config, however: That might help for the latter
>> part of the question - notify only when system service file is
>> overridden locally (by suppressing notification if systemd-deta is
>> empty).
>>
>> How to do first part of the question - be notified with a diff
>> between old versus new _effective_ config when a package update
>> changes a system service file?
>
> One could probably write a tool that compares files before and after
> an update, but I don't think its really useful.
>
> Most software with configuration files has built-in default for many
> settings. You don't get a notification when these change, but the
> effective configuration might change, that is there is no real
> difference between changing
>
>   ExecStart=/usr/bin/some-daemon --some-flag

>   ExecStart=/usr/bin/some-daemon --some-other-flag
>
> or a built-in default in some-daemon changing with the same effect.

I agree that solving *only* first part of the question is useless, as is
solving only second part of question.  If your point here is another,
then I missed it - please elaborate.

Reason I asked for first part was that those responding apparently only
covered second part - which really means they were not really covering
the issue raised, which is to get notified when _overridden_ configs
have changed.  We have that today, so arguably it is a regression to
loose that ability (albeit a minor one, I do *not* say this is a reason
to avoid systemd).

Sure it would be even better to only get notified on _semantic_ changes
rather than line-based ones, but that's a dream, not a regression.

 - Jonas