Re: init system policy

Quoting Vincent Danjean (2014-11-20 14:25:59)
>   Hi,
>
> On 18/11/2014 18:36, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > With systemd you can ship a default configuration in
> > /lib/systemd/system and administrators can override specific options,
> > for example:
> >
> > +---
> > | [Unit]
> > | Description=Some Helpful Description
> > | Documentation=man:minidlda(1)
> > |
> > | [Service]
> > | User=minidlda
> > | ExecStart=/usr/sbin/minidldad -S
> > +---[ /lib/systemd/system/minidlda.service ]
> >
> > Then an admin can override the entire file by writing his own
> > /etc/systemd/system/minidlda.service or only override specific settings:
> >
> > +---
> > | [Service]
> > | User=some-other-user
> > +---[ /etc/systemd/system/miniblda.service.d/user.conf ]
>
>   I did not know that. It is very interesting.
>
> But, is there a way to be notified at upgrade time that the system
> service file has been modified when there is local (partial or full)
> changes ?

I was wondering the same.

Seems to me this is a similar limitation as for config.d structures - as
an example apache2 is now far more modular than in the past but I no
longer as sysadmin get notified what exactly has changed when I upgrade
a system with customizations, as I did in the past thanks to the
monolithic configfile being a conffile.

>   As a small workaround, I think I will put symlinks such as
> /lib/systemd/[perhaps sub-directory, to check] -> /etc/systemd/lib/[...]
>   This way, systemd config files and their changes will be, at least,
> recorded by etckeeper.

If you mean a symlink, then I suspect etckeeper will only track it as
such - i.e. only really track the existence, not its content.

If you mean a hardlink, then I suspect it won't be preserved as such on
package updates.

 - Jonas