Re: policy regarding redistributable binary files in upstream tarballs

Quoting Ben Finney (2014-11-20 06:14:55)
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Upstreams that want to cater to end-users can distribute prebuilt
>> binary packages separately, in separate branches, zip/tarballs,
>> binary packages or "app" installers.
>
> You'll get no disagreement from me on that.
>
> But a growing number of upstreams disagree, so those upstreams are
> likely to be actively opposed to your recommendation to patches which
> remove non-source files from the VCS repository.

Thanks for your (esp. earlier in the thread) excellent explanation of
the situation.  I agree with that!

> How to resolve that? I don't know. But it will entail a change of
> workflow, not merely patches submitted.

What I have done recently is suggest upstream to at least use a separate
branch in the VCS for developer-facing and user-facing parts.

I imagine that helps my message being conceived more as a "here's how to
improve your current practice" than a "stop doing what is working for
you now."

 - Jonas